Sunday, October 31, 2010

Standing on a Ledge...

Elections are here and for me I've realized that one race in particular is going to have a large impact on life in our immediate area. I've made no bones about my dislike for the current Mayor of the City and I'm sure saying I intend to vote for Kathryn McCleery is no surprise. A friend of mine described his approach to voting in this race in a very interesting way:
      
'Imagine you are on a ledge that's crumbling and in front of you are two pools to choose from to swim to safety. In front of you is a clear pool you can see sharks and piranha in and to the side is a dark pool.'

He went further to explain that while he knew nothing about Kathryn McCleery except the brief snippets he's seen, he was certain that the current Mayor thinks he's bigger than he really is. He felt that a vote for him was to condemn the city to its destruction. He explained that it was difficult for him to decide if he should vote for McCleery or just not vote. This I found to be troubling. One should never give up their right to have a voice and while I said that out loud I caught myself and explained I meant it only as a challenge to look harder at the situation. While I wanted to say 'Don't be stupid, vote for McCleery' I instead explained I knew of her website ( http://www.kathi4mayor.com/ ) and had seen an article about her on All Points North (online PSUC magazine) and he should see if that can help him decide. Lets hope that dark pool gets clearer.

His analogy intrigued me, though.  I mentioned it to others, without mentioning politics, and you would be amazed by some of the responses. While most had the common sense to just jump into the dark pool some inquired to the length of the pools, or what would happen if they just stayed on the ledge. I consider myself lucky in regards to this analogy. Both pools are clear and the one to the side not only has no sharks or piranha but is deep enough that you can walk across and even has stairs to get out. This is simple... 3 more years of this Mayor will lead to more legal fights with the unions costing more money, necessary repairs will not get done to water and electric, more police and fire jobs will be cut and lord only knows what useless contracts will be signed to outside people for no necessary reason at all.  This is what makes it simple, we know what will happen if he is back, CUTS, CUTS and CUTS. Well this city is already going into hypovolemic shock so more cuts would just be its death sentence. The choice is as clear as a dark pool...

As far as Tuesday goes, I ask of you only one thing... use common sense. While I beg of you to do whats right for this community, its environment and the future of our children I also understand you will do whats right for you. Remember one thing... don't get caught just standing on the ledge... make sure you CHOOSE which way to jump...

No comments:

Post a Comment